Sheep Guarding Llama 2

Scott's new blog dedicated to, well, blogging! And all things SGL.

Friday, November 18, 2005

Technorati Breaking Down

I was listening to IT Conversations' coverage of the Blog Her conference recently and heard some statements about Technorati's inability to maintain accurate information and that their claims of crawling all updated pages in seven minutes to be wildly exaggerated because people were seeing their own posts not crawled for up to a week if ever. So I decided to look into it. I have been watching my own blogs on Technorati and have begun to notice that even after several days or possibly several weeks of having my one blog tagged as "podcast" and "sheep", Technorati still reported that there were no blogs at all with those tags. I also noticed that many of my blogs report no links from anywhere even though I know that I link to myself, obviously, to and from every blog that I have. Not only that but I have seen my primary blog lose many of its links mysteriously.

In the end, it looks as though the Blog Her conference hit the nail on the head. Technorati is failing to live up to their mission and someone else is likely to step into that space and do a much better job very quickly. We should keep our eyes on Blogdigger, Day Pop, Bloogz or the very obvious Google Blogs. Google was the only one to return rapid results or to catch SGL even though we are a highly read blog.

1 Comments:

At 12:21 AM, Blogger Greg G. said...

Hi Scott, I'm Greg from Blogdigger, thanks for the mention. I've made sure to add your blogs to our crawl, so we should pick you up in the future.

Thanks again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home